Monday, March 4, 2013

Slow to Anger

Today I had a frustrating morning. Two of my classmates made comments to me that rubbed some salt in a wound which was very upsetting. I spent a good deal of the afternoon at work telling myself to forget about it, to stop feeling angry. Despite this, the comments kept replaying in my mind along with inflammatory repsonses. I'm grateful I didn't actually say any of those things but thinking them kept me in a bad mood. By the time I came home tonight I had mostly cleared my mind.
After dinner I sat down to read in the scriptures for a while. While praying, I remembered a talk given by Gordon B. Hinckley, a leader of the LDS church who passed away in 2008, on the subject of anger. I read that talk tonight and several statements stood out to me, especially this one: "Happy is the man who can brush aside the offending remarks of another and go on his way." Another was a reference to a hymn entitled "School Thy Feelings." I'm grateful for talks like this. They help me to not only control any anger I feel but to do better at choosing not to be angry.
Here is a link to the talk: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/10/slow-to-anger?lang=eng&query=anger

Here is a link to a video of the talk if you can't use the video on the above link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLKBPn9GEVM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment. I appreciate your response but ask that you please be respectful and avoid using any profane language.